Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Advent/December Posts

Hello everyone!

I hope you are all settling back into work and your regular routine after the Thanksgiving holiday. Posting these writing prompts took a backseat (quite literally--my computer stayed stowed in the backseat of my car for the better part of six days) to my family's road trip to Lubbock and Abilene for Thanksgiving.

My mom convinced my brother and me (and my two younger kids) to spend part of Thanksgiving weekend in a yurt. We didn't completely hate it, though I probably won't be doing it again any time soon.
But now we're back, and it's off to the races: for many of us, these next few weeks will be some of the busiest of the entire year. In order to keep up with the prompts as well as other responsibilities, I'm going to post once a week on Tuesdays. Each post will include three prompts from 642 Things. I encourage you to write a response to one or more and post them in the comments.

Our time together on Wednesday nights will still include discussion of a selection from Mary Karr or Anne Lamott, but I'd like to spend more time on writing and sharing. If you haven't joined us for a class yet, please come! I have so enjoyed getting to know each other better through our responses to the readings and in-class writing prompts.

Here are the prompts from 642 Things for this week:


  • What piece of jewelry do you wear most often? Write about why it's your go-to-piece of jewelry. Where did you get it? What do you like about the way it looks on you? Why does it feel good to wear?
  • Write about a good-bye that you didn't know was a last good-bye.
  • Write about the morning you least wanted to get out of bed.

2 comments:

  1. I wear my Dad's Mom's wedding ring all day every day and have been doing so for probably 30 plus years. My grandmother spent the last months of her life with my family after she was diagnosed with cancer. She waited for me to get home from school every afternoon, helped me with my homework even when I resisted, and was a bright light in our household. Her name was Margaret. Before she got sick I treasured sleepovers at her apartment where we enjoyed her comfort cooking and endless games of gin rummy. One evening, when she had lost hand after hand of cards, she performed a desperate magic trick, running the card deck around the legs of the table, rolling her eyes in mock rapture, and chanting a magic spell. When she dealt me my hand I could hardly contain myself -- she'd given me a perfect hand. Gin!, I cried, and we both collapsed in laughter. I rarely look at this ring, it's just so familiar on the third finger of my right hand. But I'm aware that it's there and that it was hers and that she would love more than anything for me to be wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this so much! The James Avery cross ring I wear on my right hand came from my brother. I almost never take it off. Thanks for posting!

      Delete