Thursday, November 10, 2016

Accidents Happen

I had about a thousand errands to run the day we came back from the parish retreat at Camp Allen and a tight schedule to keep because of my son's baseball game. So rear-ending the car in front of me on Westheimer at River Oaks Boulevard was not my idea of a good time. It was totally my fault; my daughter distracted me from the backseat, and when I turned back to face the road, the car in front of me had come to a complete stop waiting to make a left turn. I can't think of many sounds worse than squealing brakes followed by a resonant thud. And then the feeling in your stomach in that split second before you climb out of the car, repeating over and over, "Please don't let it be that bad. Please don't let it be that bad. Please don't let it . . . oh, man."

I picked up my car from the body shop yesterday afternoon, so I had to laugh a little when this turned out to be the prompt for today from 642 Things:

Describe an accident you've been in. Were you at fault? Who was? What excuses were made? What were the lasting consequences?

Use this quote for reflection as you gather your thoughts:

"Decisions can be like car accidents, sudden and full of consequences."--Allison Glock

No comments:

Post a Comment